This freakishly tasted like Chicken we couldn't believe it. Crispy batter and a juicy tender inside and 100% plant-based.
The recipe makes 2 reasonable portions and of course, you can double, triple for a bigger batch.
Large Oyster Mushroom
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Spelt flour (or other whole-food flour-like Chickpea)
1/3 Plant milk
Seasonings: Sea Salt, Black peppercorn, Chilli flakes, Garlic & Coriander seasoning
3/4 Cup Spelt flour
1tsp Black Peppercorn
Wash and dry mushroom
Cut into medallions and then cut them in half
3. In a bowl add the wet batter ingredients and mix add more flour as needed
4. Get another bowl and the dry batter and mix add more flour as needed
5. In a sizeable pan, on medium to high heat add oil about 1/2 inch deep
6. While the pan is heating. Dip the mushroom into the wet batter covering all areas and then coat with the dry spelt flour.
7. To test if the temperature is ready for shallow frying, add a small amount of the wet batter to see if tiny bubbles surround it. Time to work fast!
8. Once ready add Oyster Mushroom to the pan to cook until it is golden brown.
9. Rotate pieces until all areas have browned and crisp
10. Place cooked pieces onto a piece of kitchen towel to drain off excess oil.
Tastes great with some cheeky BBQ sauce and Sweet Potato Fries.